Overpayments FAQs

If you have an overpayment, it means that the Kansas Department of Labor (KDOL) has determined that you obtained Unemployment Insurance (UI) benefits in excess of the amount that might otherwise have applied. There can be several causes of overpayment but the most common is a determination, at a hearing or an appeal, that you were not qualified to receive UI benefits which had already been provided to you. Overpayments can also be due to fraudulent UI claims.

General Questions

Can I appeal the decision that caused the overpayment?

Your appeal rights, if any in your circumstance, are set out in KSA 44-709 or KSA 77-601 et seq. They are also paraphrased in determination communications provided to you by KDOL relating to the establishment of an overpayment. The time limits set out in the appeals process are strictly enforced. You are encouraged to exercise any right to appeal should you choose to do so. If the time for appeals has passed, the Asset Recovery unit of KDOL is not authorized to discuss appeals. You are encouraged to consult with your legal advisor concerning your appeal rights.

How can I avoid collection or recovery activity against me?

Keeping your Overpayment Account at a zero balance is the best method to avoid collection or recovery activity. Making an obvious effort to reduce the balance in a reasonable and timely fashion is a good alternative.

How does bankruptcy influence overpayments?

Bankruptcy may not change your obligations related to your overpayment account. Overpayment balances are subject to recoupment or off-set including benefit off-set post-bankruptcy. Overpayment balances may prevent future Unemployment Insurance benefits. 

Will an overpayment balance influence my credit report?

KDOL does not supply overpayment balances or related information to credit reporting agencies. Some recovery processes are public records available to credit reporting agencies and the general public.

How do I report suspected UI fraud?

Unemployment fraud is the willful misrepresentation of information to collect UI benefits. To report fraud, you can call the Fraud Hotline at (785) 291-6059 or visit the Report Fraud page.

Are Overpayment repayments tax deductions?

It depends. You should consult with your tax advisor or tax preparation service. Because UI benefits are generally income, it may be that UI benefit repayments would provide a deduction on income tax returns when repaying prior reported income in the tax year of the repayment.