Unemployment FAQs

Please select from an Unemployment category below to get more help or review a comprehensive list of frequently asked questions updated weekly here.

Identity Verification by Law Enforcement Officers

My UI benefits account has been flagged for fraud and I need to verify my identity with KDOL. What are my next steps?

The first step would be to upload a copy of your driver’s license and Social Security Card to the UI Assistance Portal. If you have completed this step and still have a fraud flag on your account, you can visit a participating law enforcement agency to have your identity verified in person. This new Law Enforcement Officer Identity Verification process was enacted by H.B. 2196.

Which law enforcement agencies have opted to participate in the identity verification process?

A full list of participating law enforcement agencies can be found below.

What documentation do I need to bring to verify my identity with a law enforcement officer?

You must provide one selection from List A
A combination of one selection from List B AND one selection from List C.

List A
Documents that Establish Both Identity and Employment Authorization
List B
Documents that Establish Identity
List C
Documents that Establish Employment Authorization
  1. U.S. Passport or U.S. Passport Card
  2. Permanent Resident Card or Alien Registration Receipt Card (Form I-551)
  3. Foreign passport that contains a temporary Form I-551 stamp or temporary Form I-551 printed notation on a machine-readable immigrant visa.
  4. Employment Authorization Document Card (Form I-766)
  5. For a nonimmigrant alien authorized to work for a specific employer because of his or her status:
    1. Foreign passport; and
    2. Form I-94 or Form I-94A that has the following:
      1. The same name as the passport; and
      2. An endorsement of the alien's nonimmigrant status as long as that period of endorsement has not yet expired and the proposed employment is not in conflict with any restrictions or limitations identified on the form.
  6. Passport from the Federated States of Micronesia (FSM) or the Republic of the Marshall Islands (RMI) with Form I-94 or Form I-94A indicating nonimmigrant admission under the Compact of Free Association Between the United States of the FSM or RMI.
  1. Driver's License or ID card issued by a State or outlying possession of the United States provided it contains a photograph or information such as name, date of birth, gender, height, eye color, and address
  2. ID card issued by federal, state or local government agencies or entities, provided it contains a photograph or information such as name, date of birth, gender, height, eye color, and address
  3. School ID card with a photograph
  4. Voter's registration card
  5. U.S. Military card or draft record
  6. Military dependent's ID card
  7. U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Card
  8. Native American tribal document
  9. Driver's license issued by a Canadian government authority

For persons under age 18 who are unable to provide a document listed above:

  1. School record or report card
  2. Clinic, doctor, or hospital record
  3. Day-care or nursery school record
  1. A Social Security Account Number card, unless the card includes one of the following restrictions:
  2. Certification of report of birth issued by the Department of State (Forms DS-1350, FS-545, FS-240)
  3. Original or certified copy of birth certificate issued by a State, county, municipal authority, or territory of the United States bearing an official seal
  4. Native American tribal document
  5. U.S. Citizen ID Card (Form I-197)
  6. Identification Card for Use of Resident Citizen in the United States (Form I-179)
  7. Employment authorization document issued by the Department of Homeland Security


What is the process for identifying my identity with a law enforcement officer?

When you arrive at the law enforcement agency, the officer will supply you with the K-FRD 102 Identity Verification – Law Enforcement Office form. Fill out Section A. The officer will fill out Section B using the identity verification documents you provide them. Fill out Section C with your benefit payment information then print, sign and date the form under Claimant Certification. The officer will fill out and sign under LEO Certification. Then the officer will submit the completed form to KDOL.

How long will it take to be contacted by KDOL?

If there are no other issues with your account, you should be contacted by KDOL in approximately 48 – 72 hours. If an investigation is opened, the process may take longer to complete.

What happens after I verify my identity with a LEO?

After the officer submits the completed identity verification form to KDOL, our Fraud Investigation unit will review the document and UI benefits account. We may contact you for additional questions. If our agency determines your identity has been verified correctly, the flag will be lifted from the account.

Note: Verifying your identity does not guarantee eligibility. Claimants will still need to be found eligible for UI benefits in order to start receiving payments.