Labor Relations FAQs

The Kansas Department of Labor Labor Relations Division acts on behalf of the Public Employee Relations Board (PERB) to administer the Public Employer Employee Relations Act (PEERA) and for the Secretary of Labor to administer the Professional Negotiations Act (PNA). These Kansas laws, enacted more than 35 years ago, establish the right of public employees in Kansas to organize and negotiate with public employers regarding terms and conditions of employment and grievances. Please select from a Labor Relations category below to get more help. 

null Labor Negotiations

Who is a public employee?

According to statute, "public employee" means any person employed by any public agency – state, county, city, school district, etc., except those persons classified as supervisory employees or professional employees of school districts, as defined by subsection (c) of K.S.A. 72-2218, elected and management officials, and confidential employees.

Under Kansas law, public employees have the right to form, join and participate in the activities of employee organizations of their own choosing, for the purpose of meeting and conferring with public employers or their designated representatives with respect to grievances and conditions of employment. Public employees also have the right to refuse to join or participate in the activities of employee organizations.

Are all government employees covered by the Office of Labor Relations?

No. However, each city, country, or district must willingly elect to be covered under the provisions of PEERA through a vote within the city, county, or district’governing body. Generally, supervisory and confidential employees are excluded from coverage under PEERA

How are labor negotiations handled through the Office of Labor Relations?

Public employee groups which choose to be represented in their negotiations with their public employer hold an election to determine who or what entity will represent them in the negotiations. For example, police officers may elect the Fraternal Order of Police to represent them. Timing for the elections for representation are different under PEERA and PNA. PEERA allows them throughout the year while PNA has a cutoff date of December 1 for the next year’s representation for negotiations.

Please visit the Labor Relations Division page for access to all PNA and PEERA forms. The petition requirements and the notification about impasse are different under PERB and PNA.

Generally, when an impasse in bargaining is reached, the Office will contact the Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service, a free service of the U.S. Department of Labor, for negotiation assistance. If the parties cannot settle, the issue goes to “fact finding.” A list of five fact-finders will be provided by the Office of Labor Relations to help the parties reach agreement over their terms and conditions of employment.

PNA agreements have a deadline of June 1 each year, but the process can be extended into the summer if there is an impasse.

What if I want to request a mediator or fact finder?

Requests can be made by letter or e-mail.

Can I look up decisions that have been made concerning past complaints?

Yes, the decisions under the Professional Negotiations Act and those of the Public Employee Relations Board are found on our website. These decisions are searchable by date, subject or key word.

I need a form to return information to you. How do I get it?

Please visit the Labor Relations Division page for access to all PNA and PEERA forms. Be sure to read the instructions for each type of form as the requirements do vary. Generally, you are required to submit the original and several copies. The number of copies depends on the form. The original may require notarization and cannot be submitted electronically but must be sent by Certified Mail.

Please be sure that the form is filled out completely, or it will be returned to you.

On the election form for representation, it requires 30 percent voting. Is that 30 percent of the union or 30 percent of those covered by the contract?

It is 30 percent of the individuals who will be covered by the agreement being negotiated. The election will be conducted by mail. The Office of Labor Relations sends a ballot to each voter and counts the ballots when they are mailed back.

I have a question about wages I earned that were not paid to me. Can you help me with that?

Questions about unpaid wages and other Kansas workplace laws such as breaks and child labor are under the jurisdiction of the KDOL Employment Standards unit. Contact Employment Standards at (785) 296-5000 ext. 1068 or

What about my public pension plan? Is KPERS subject to Labor Relations?

No, the Kansas Public Employees Retirement System (KPERS) is not part of the Office of Labor Relations but can be contacted at the below.

Kansas Public Employees Retirement System (KPERS)

611 S Kansas Ave, Suite 100
Topeka, KS 66603-3869

(888) 275-5737 (Toll-Free)
(785) 296-6166 (Topeka)
(785) 296-0196 (FAX)