Self-employed individuals who intend to reopen their business do not need to complete work search activities, but they must take steps to reopen. Self-employed individuals who do not intend to reopen their business will need to complete the Work Search Activity Log form (K-BEN 987) below.
Take Steps to Reopen Your Business
In order to remain eligible for unemployment benefits if you are self-employed, you are required to take steps to reopen your business. You must tell us how many hours per week you spend rebuilding you business.
Here are some examples of things you can do to reopen:
- Let your customers or clients know you're reopening by posting on your social media platforms
- Contact past customers or clients
- Pass out business cards and flyers
- Reach out to potential clients
- Make sure any required licenses or permits are current and renew them if they aren't.
- Obtain required permits or licenses if you don't already have them
- Review current contracts and research new ones
- Prepare a bid on contract
- Submit a bid on contract
- Research and prepare for a specific contract
- Check your inventory
- Enroll in training to expand your skills
Remember to follow federal and state health guidelines when you reopen your business to ensure the safety of you, your employees, and your clients or customers.