Unemployment FAQs

Please select from an Unemployment category below to get more help or review a comprehensive list of frequently asked questions updated weekly here.

null What is a 1099-G form?

The 1099-G, Statement for Recipients of Certain Government Payments, is the government income tax form, used to provide a receipt of government income in the last year. This includes individuals who received state unemployment, a state income tax refund, and other government provided income. For more information about what other government provided income may be included, please visit the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) 1099-G Form website.

You may receive more than one 1099-G if you had multiple forms of government provided income. For a summary of various 1099s issued by the State and contact information for questions and inquiries, please visit the Kansas Department of Administration 1099 Information website.

The payer field on the 1099-G will note “Kansas Department of Labor” for your receipt of unemployment benefits. In the case of unemployment, the 1099-G documents the total benefits paid to the claimant during the previous calendar year. The same information is provided to the Internal Revenue Service.

The Kansas Department of Labor will mail a Form 1099-G in January to individuals who received unemployment benefits at any time during the previous calendar year.

This diagram shows how to determine which agency sent you the Form 1099-G and where information about unemployment compensation is found.

2019 IRS 1099-G Form