Labor Relations FAQs

The Kansas Department of Labor Labor Relations Division acts on behalf of the Public Employee Relations Board (PERB) to administer the Public Employer Employee Relations Act (PEERA) and for the Secretary of Labor to administer the Professional Negotiations Act (PNA). These Kansas laws, enacted more than 35 years ago, establish the right of public employees in Kansas to organize and negotiate with public employers regarding terms and conditions of employment and grievances. Please select from a Labor Relations category below to get more help. 

null What is PEERA?

The Public Employer-Employee Relations Act (PEERA), K.S.A. 75-4321 et seq., covers employees of the state and its agencies, cities, counties, fire districts, school districts (except for teachers) and some colleges. However, all except the state must elect to come under the provisions of PEERA by a vote of their governing body. A listing follows of those bodies that currently have elected to be subject to PEERA. National Labor Relations Board regulations may cover other entities. The local governing body – commission, council, school board, etc. – must choose to participate or the employees are not covered by PEERA and cannot petition PERB.