What is unemployment fraud?
null What is unemployment fraud?
Unemployment fraud is the willful misrepresentation of information by an individual for purposes of collecting unemployment benefits. Anyone who collects unemployment while knowingly doing something that would make them ineligible has committed fraud. It can include situations in which a claimant receives benefits:
- and has refused suitable work and fails to report this
- while working and does not report those earnings
- while working and does not report the correct amount of earnings
- while operating their own business
- and knowingly misrepresents that they are able and available for work (for example, the claimant is on vacation, out of town, in jail or in the hospital)