Unemployment FAQs

Please select from an Unemployment category below to get more help or review a comprehensive list of frequently asked questions updated weekly here.

null What kinds of federal payments can be reduced?

Depending upon the type of debt you owe, the following federal payments may be eligible for offset or levy:

  • Tax refunds
  • Federal wages, including military pay
  • Federal retirement, including military retirement pay
  • Contractor/vendor payments
  • Travel advances and reimbursements
  • Certain federal benefit payments, such as Social Security (other than Supplemental Security Income), Railroad Retirement (other than tier 2) and Black Lung (part B benefits)
  • Other federal payments that are not expressly exempted from offset

Federal law limits the amount that may be withheld from some types of federal payments.