Unemployment FAQs

Please select from an Unemployment category below to get more help or review a comprehensive list of frequently asked questions updated weekly here.

null Are my benefits taxable?

Unemployment insurance is taxable income and must be reported on your federal and state income tax returns.

If you want to have taxes withheld from your weekly unemployment benefits, complete the authorization form Agreement to Withhold Federal Income Tax from UI Benefits for federal withholding and Agreement to Withhold Kansas Income Tax from Unemployment Insurance Benefits for state withholding and send them to the Unemployment Contact Center as directed on the forms.

In January IRS Form 1099-G will be mailed to you stating the amount of unemployment insurance benefits paid to you during the previous year as reported to the IRS.