Workers Compensation FAQs

The Kansas Department of Labor Workers Compensation Division is responsible for the administration of the Kansas Workers Compensation laws and rules. The division focuses on ensuring employees injured at work, employers, health care providers and insurance carriers receive timely, impartial and fair claim resolution.

null Electronic Data Interchange (EDI)

What industry codes (DN025) will Kansas accept?

Kansas currently accepts the 2017 North American Industrial Classification System codes (NAICS).

When is the DN68 (Initial Return to Work Date) required?

The Initial Return to Work Date should always be provided on a First Report of Injury (FROI), even if the injured worker returned to work on the same day. The only instances in which an Initial Return to Work Date would not be provided is if the injured worker has not returned to work, or if it is unknown if they have returned to work. Once the Initial Return to Work Date is known, a FROI 02 change report needs to be sent with that Initial Return to Work Date in order to update the First Report of Injury (FROI).

In what instance would DN154 (Employee ID Assigned by Jurisdiction) be used? What is the process for creating this ID?

If there is no available Social Security number for injured worker, then there will need to be an Employee ID Assigned by Jurisdiction sent in its place. This will be assigned by Kansas Division of Workers Compensation by contacting (785) 296-4000 or Garrett Hamman at

What is the current EDI Release?

As of November 29, 2018, Kansas is using EDI Release 3.1.

When is a First Report of Injury (FROI) required to be reported (medical-only as well as indemnity)? Do all incidents, regardless of medical aid, get reported via EDI?

All claim types on a First Report of Injury (FROI) are reportable to the State of Kansas within 28 days of the employer being notified that an injury has occurred.

Either an Original First Report of Injury (FROI 00) or a Denial First Report of Injury (FROI 04), as applicable, must be submitted to Kansas Division of Workers Compensation following an accident or occupational exposure "…if the personal injuries which are sustained by such accidents, are sufficient wholly or partially to incapacitate the person injured from labor or service for more than the remainder of the day, shift or turn on which such injuries were sustained" (K.S.A.44-557(a))

Kansas Division of Workers Compensation understands that K.S.A.44-557(a) merely sets the statutory floor for the timeliness reporting requirement for an Original First Report of Injury or a Denial First Report of Injury. However, any insurance carrier, third party administrator, self-insured employer or group-funded pool may send a FROI 00 for all no-time-loss accidents that do not meet the statutory threshold for mandatory reporting. Reporting entities are strongly encouraged to report any and all injuries regardless of lost time.

When is a Subsequent Report of Injury (SROI) required to be reported?

Subsequent Reports of Injury (SROI) are required for all claims that are indemnity, or became indemnity. The Subsequent Reports of Injury (SROI) are not reported to the Kansas Division of Workers Compensation if the claim is medical-only or became medical-only. With that being said, all payment information is required on a reportable Subsequent Report of Injury (SROI), including any medical payments associated with the claim.

How do I know when a First Report of Injury (FROI) and Subsequent Report of Injury (SROI) need to be filed, and in what order to file them?

There are Event tables (FROI, SROI, Periodic) within our Release 3.1 EDI Tables that show which business events trigger each First Report of Injury (FROI) and Subsequent Report of Injury (SROI) to be filed with the Kansas Division of Workers Compensation. The tables show the report triggers for each maintenance type code and when the report is due.

The sequence for filing the reports can also be found within the Kansas R3.1 Edit Matrix in the table named "KS Sequence Table." This table shows whether a report (FROI or SROI) will be accepted or rejected based on the previous report that was filed.

Do we submit an EDI Subsequent Report of Injury (SROI) on claims for which we previously submitted a paper First Report of Injury (FROI)?

No, it will be EDI only going forward. EDI SROIs can only be submitted if you have filed an EDI FROI.

How do we use the Annual Report (AN)?

The annual report (AN) has now been changed into a true annual report. For any claims having indemnity being paid, the AN is required every calendar year that the claim is still open. The date of annual is based off of the date of injury; this report will be due on the date of injury every calendar year. These will be required every year until a final (FN) is reported which will close the claim.

What is a SROI PY? When is it used?

A PY identifies a lump sum payment/settlement report for indemnity claims only. If the first indemnity payment is included in a lump sum payment/settlement, do not send the IP or AP but send the PY.

What if I have reported a SROI PY (lump sum payment), but the claim is still open for possible future medical payments?

If the Trading Partner would like to leave a claim open on their end for possible future medical payments after a SROI PY, they can still file the SROI FN (final) report with the Kansas Division of Workers Compensation. If payments are in fact made, the Trading Partner can simply submit another SROI FN to report this information.

Where did the MTC code FS go?

The code has been replaced by MTC code EP (Employer Paid). Other than the name and acronym of the MTC code, there has been no change. Use the EP in all instances that an FS was previously used.
Trading Partner Requirements

Where can I find the IAIABC Release 3 Implementation Guide? Where do I find the Data Dictionary?

The IAIABC website has the Implementation Guide available for purchase under EDI, Implementation Guides (Claims 3.0). The data dictionary can be found in section 6.

Do you have a list of approved vendors?

A list of EDI vendors that are currently submitting workers compensation claim reports in other jurisdictions and that have proven technical and business capability to comply with the Kansas EDI Implementation Guide can be found on the Workers Compensation OSCAR and EDI page.

How often do our Trading Partner documents need to be updated?

If there is a change to any of the information within the current Trading Partner documents on file with the Kansas Division of Workers Compensation, the Trading Partner is required to submit updated documents within 5 business days. 

Reminders will be sent out twice a year (in March and September) and the Kansas Division of Workers Compensation can provide Trading Partner with a copy of the current documents on file by requesting this information. You can send the request to Dane Curtis.

When reporting via EDI, what will Closed Claims Study (CCS) reporting obligations be?

Entities will no longer be required to participate in the Closed Claim Study, because the reporting requirements will be met through EDI.