Unemployment FAQs

Please select from an Unemployment category below to get more help or review a comprehensive list of frequently asked questions updated weekly here.

null What are TAA and TRA?

The Federal Trade Act provides several benefits under the Trade Adjustment Assistance (TAA) program. Trade Readjustment Allowances (TRA) is one of the benefits covered under TAA. TRA payments are intended mainly for workers who are enrolled in approved training for a new job because their previous job was affected by foreign imports. TRA provides additional income support to individuals who qualify after their regular unemployment benefits are exhausted.

TRA is available to workers who are adversely affected by a trade-impacted employer. The trade-impacted employer must be covered under a certification of group eligibility. Certification of group eligibility is a group of workers of a firm or subdivision of a firm that have been certified by the U.S. Department of Labor as eligible to apply for TAA benefits.

If you think you may qualify for these benefits, please contact a Kansas Department of Commerce Workforce Center.