Unemployment FAQs

Please select from an Unemployment category below to get more help or review a comprehensive list of frequently asked questions updated weekly here.

null What happens if I’m overpaid unemployment benefits?

If you receive benefits you are not entitled to, you are required to repay the benefits, even if someone else made the mistake that caused the incorrect payment. When a potential overpayment is detected, we may ask you to provide information as we investigate. If an overpayment has been established, we will mail a notice of determination explaining how the overpayment occurred, the amount overpaid and how to repay the amount due.

If you believe that the notice is incorrect, you have the right to appeal.

If it is determined that a claimant received more money than they were entitled to, their case is turned over to the Asset Recovery unit to collect the debt. You may contact the Asset Recovery unit at (785) 296-3609 to make arrangements to repay an overpayment. You may repay it in a lump sum or by making payments. If you have an overpayment, we will withhold future benefits payments and apply it towards the amount due. In addition, any federal and state tax refunds you may be due will be intercepted and applied to the overpayment in each year an overpayment remains.

It is to your advantage to repay overpayments as soon as possible. Kansas law requires that we collect interest on your overpayment, which over time will increase the amount you must repay.