Labor Relations FAQs

The Kansas Department of Labor Labor Relations Division acts on behalf of the Public Employee Relations Board (PERB) to administer the Public Employer Employee Relations Act (PEERA) and for the Secretary of Labor to administer the Professional Negotiations Act (PNA). These Kansas laws, enacted more than 35 years ago, establish the right of public employees in Kansas to organize and negotiate with public employers regarding terms and conditions of employment and grievances. Please select from a Labor Relations category below to get more help. 

null What is PNA?

Public school teachers and other professional employees are covered under the Professional Negotiations Act (PNA), K.S.A. 72-2218. The Secretary of the Kansas Department of Labor is responsible for administration of the PNA.

All Unified School Districts, area vocational-technical schools and community colleges are covered under PNA, but they are not required to have negotiating representatives. The Office of Labor Relations conducts the election of negotiating representatives for a college, school or school district’s professional employees.

Under PNA, employers, employees or employee organizations can file unfair labor practice complaints. If negotiations reach an impasse, the Office of Labor Relations must be notified.