Unemployment FAQs

Please select from an Unemployment category below to get more help or review a comprehensive list of frequently asked questions updated weekly here.

null Why is my repayment of my overpayment not accounted for on my 1099-G?

The 1099-G will report the total amount of benefits paid during the calendar year, including any overpayments. If you repaid any or all of an overpayment amount during the same calendar year, the payment amount shown will not be adjusted to reflect the amount repaid.

You can claim the amount paid back on your federal tax return. Instructions for claiming the repaid amount can be found on IRS Publication 525 (2019) within the Unemployment Benefits section. If you don't repay the overpayment until subsequent tax years, you can claim the amount repaid on your tax form(s) for the year(s) in which the repayment is made.