Unemployment FAQs

Please select from an Unemployment category below to get more help or review a comprehensive list of frequently asked questions.

Filing for Unemployment

When should I file for unemployment?

File for unemployment benefits as soon as you become unemployed, but not before your final workday is completed. Your claim is effective the week you file, not the week you become unemployed.

If you wait, you will not receive waiting period credit or payment for those weeks.

Should I file online or by phone?

We strongly suggest filing online. At times, the Contact Center phone wait can be lengthy. If you must call to speak with a customer service representative, be prepared to hold.

  • You must create your online account and then file your unemployment application by phone if:
  • You worked in any other state than Kansas in the past 18 months
  • You filed an unemployment claim with another state in the past 12 months
  • You were in the military service or were a federal employee in the past 18 months

All other claims can be filed online. Remember, filing online is simple, fast and secure; whereas there will be a wait if you contact the contact center.

When can I file an application for unemployment on the internet?

The online service is available: Sunday from noon to Monday at 9 p.m.; Tuesday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m.; and Saturday from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m.

What if I live in another state and need to file a claim in Kansas?

If all your wages in the last 18 months were earned in Kansas, you can file online at GetKansasBenefits.gov. If you have wages from other states, create your online account and then call the Contact Center to file your application.and secure; whereas there will be a wait if you contact the contact center.

Filing an Initial Claim

Guide to Setting Up Your Initial Claim

What if someone has worked out of state in the past 18 months?

The individual may file a claim for unemployment benefits in any state in which they have earned money. States can combine your wages for a claim. In Kansas, an individual with wages in another state must create an online account and then apply by calling our contact center. Individuals can only file/claim benefits in one state at a time, so if they begin filing in one state, their claim will remain with that state. 

What happens after I file an application for unemployment?

After you file your application, you will receive a Monetary Determination letter based on your wages. 

The information in the letter will show if you have earned enough wages to establish an unemployment claim. If your wages on your Monetary Determination are incorrect or missing, contact the Contact Center for assistance. You will be asked to provide check stubs, W–2 statements, or other documents.

A monetary determination does not mean you will receive benefits. Additional information may be needed from you and/or your employer to make sure you are eligible.

How do you check my identity?

Your name and Social Security number are sent through a secure transaction to the Social Security Administration for verification.

Why did I receive an Identity Verification form from KDOL?

We need additional information to verify your identity. We will need a copy of your Social Security card and your driver’s license or other state-issued photo ID. Legible copies of the documents should be sent by the due date on the form. 

You will be ineligible to receive benefits until we receive the necessary documentation. 

How do I file another application if I have filed one in the past?

Go to GetKansasBenefits.gov to file another application for unemployment benefits.

If you cannot file online you can apply for unemployment benefits by calling the Contact Center. 

How can I add to or correct my answer on the application?

If you have already completed and submitted your application, you will be unable to change your answers or add additional information. You may fax in additional information to (785) 296-3249, fill out any requested forms stating you made an error, call the contact center, or simply provide this information if selected for a phone interview.

Make sure the pop-up blocker on your Web browser is turned off.

The last page indicated that my claim was not complete. How can I check on my claim?

Call the Contact Center to complete the processing of your claim.

I am unable to download the form. What should I do?

Call the Contact Center for assistance. 

What is claim maintenance?

Claim maintenance is a process that requires a detailed manual review of an Unemployment Insurance (UI) claim to ensure all data is accurate. 

Filing a Weekly Certifications (Claims)

Why can't I file my weekly certifications (claims)?

  • It has been more than 14 calendar days from the last date you filed an application for benefits without any activity such as filing a weekly claim.
  • It has been more than 14 calendar days from the last date you filed a weekly claim for payment.
  • You earned more during the week than your weekly benefit amount.

If you have worked since filing your last application, file a new application online. If you have not worked since filing your last application, call the Contact Center for assistance.

Do I have to claim every week?

Yes, if you skip a week, it will create a break in your claim and you will need to file another application to continue filing your weekly certifications (claims). File a weekly certification every week you are unemployed or underemployed.  If you return to work or stop filing your weekly certifications, file another application. 

Online Benefits Account

What if I have forgotten my username, password or PIN?

Go to www.getkansasbenefits.gov and select the Need help signing in? and follow the prompts. If you are still having problems, call the Contact Center.

How do I change my address or other personal information?

Change your address, phone number, email address, password, PIN and other personal information by selecting the Change Your Information option after you log into the online unemployment benefits system.

I am getting a server error when trying to log into my account, what do I do?

If you are needing UI account login assistance please follow the steps in THIS GUIDE.


What does adjudication mean?

Adjudication is the process we use to make determinations on your eligibility. We may call to gather more information. Your claim will go to adjudication if there are questions about your eligibility. During adjudication, we make determinations about your claim based on information from you, employers, and other sources. 

Why did my claim go to adjudication?

A claim goes to adjudication to determine your eligibility for benefits. For example, if you were fired from your job, we'll need to find out more information before we can decide if you're eligible for benefits. There are several factors that will trigger adjudication.

If my application goes to adjudication, does that mean I've been denied unemployment benefits?

No. If your case goes to adjudication, it means we need to determine if you are eligible. We temporarily suspend your claim until we determine your eligibility.

Should I continue to file weekly claims even though my case is in adjudication?

Yes, you should file a weekly certification  each week as long as you remain unemployed. If you are eligible for benefits , you'll get  payments for any weeks you claimed and were eligible to receive. 

What happens after my claim goes to adjudication?

We may call to ask you questions about your claim, or we may mail you a form asking for more information. If you're filing online, we will ask you to download the form, complete it right away and return it to us. 

What happens if I am called by an adjudicator?

We will ask questions to determine your eligibility. Answer all questions completely and honestly.

Will my employer be on the phone call with me?

No. Calls are just between the claimant and KDOL.

What happens if I miss my phone call?

This phone call is important!  If you miss the call, we will not make a second attempt to contact you. We will determine  your eligibility based on the information we have.

How will I know what happens after the adjudication process?

We will send you a determination letter explaining why we approved or denied your claim. Your appeal rights are listed on the back of the determination. If you appeal, continue to file weekly certifications as long as you remain unemployed.

How long will it take for a decision to be made?

Determinations are estimated to take 5-6 weeks. 

How soon will I get my benefits?

Your benefits will be released the day after we determine you are eligible. Your benefits and any back payments, will be deposited on your Visa® debit card or into your bank account. 

How can I keep my claim moving?

  • Pay attention to information requests that appear on the "confirmation" page when you file your application or weekly certifications. Information requests returned before a determination can be made.
  • Watch your mailbox or email for information requests. 
  • Respond to our request(s) for information promptly, print clearly, answer all the questions, and explain yourself fully.
  • If you move, update your address. 
  • Make sure your name and Social Security number are on all pages of correspondence.
  • Be available for your scheduled call, if one is scheduled. 
  • File weekly certifications while any determinations are pending.

What are my appeal rights?

If you disagree with the Notice of Determination, you may file an appeal with the Kansas Department of Labor within 16 days of the determination mail date. Your appeal rights and time limits are explained on the back of your Notice of Determination.

How do I request an appeal?

Write a letter asking for an appeal and submit it to the Office of Appeals.   The letter should include your name, the last four digits of your Social Security number, your current address, your phone number, and the determination you are appealing. Send the letter to: 

Office of Appeals

401 SW Topeka Blvd 
Topeka, KS 66603-3182

(785) 291-6086 (FAX)

What happens after I file an appeal?

The Office of Appeals will prepare your hearing packet, which includes the letter of appeal and documentation submitted the determination being appealed, and relevant documentation previously submitted by both you and your employer. The case will be scheduled for hearing. Cases are scheduled on a in the order they are received.

How will I learn about the hearing?

After appeal has been scheduled, you will receive a Notice of Telephone Hearing, instructions on how to prepare for your appeal hearing, and your hearing packet. The Notice of Telephone Hearing will list the date and time of your hearing. Follow the instructions on the Notice of Telephone Hearing to register for the hearing by providing a telephone number to be contacted at. Register as soon as you receive your hearing notice, and no later than 1 p.m. the business day before the scheduled hearing or you will not be called for the hearing.

What do I do after receiving my Notice of Telephone Hearing?

You are required to call or register online for your appeals hearing the Office of Appeals by 1 p.m. the business day prior to the scheduled hearing and provide a telephone number to  be contacted for the hearing. If you do not provide a telephone number by 1 p.m. the business day prior to the hearing, you will not be called.  The decision will be based on information you give at the hearing. Failure to take part in the hearing may result in an incorrect decision.

What if I am not available at the time of my scheduled hearing?

If you have good cause why you cannot participate at the scheduled time, you may request to reschedule the hearing, this is called a “continuance.” Good cause is a compelling personal emergency and not simply inconvenience. The request for a continuance must be made in writing by 1 p.m. the business day prior to the scheduled hearing.

Can I have witnesses at the hearing?

Yes, all witness names and telephone numbers must be provided to the Office of Appeals by 1 p.m. the business day prior to the hearing.

Can I subpoena evidence or witnesses?

You may request that the Office of Appeals issue a subpoena to obtain necessary witnesses or evidence. The request for a subpoena must be made in writing at least seven days before the hearing date. Your request for a subpoena can be denied, but you can state an  objection to the denial at the hearing. You must attempt to obtain the evidence or witness for the hearing yourself before seeking a subpoena.

Can I submit evidence?

Yes, all evidence must be submitted to both the Office of Appeals and the opposing party no later than 1 p.m. the business day prior to the hearing. If you do not provide the evidence to both parties in advance as required, use of the evidence may be denied. The name and address of the opposing party is listed on the bottom of the Notice of Telephone Hearing.

Do I need an attorney?

Although it is not required, you have the right to be represented by an attorney licensed in the state of Kansas or a duly authorized representative at your hearing. A duly authorized representative is a union representative, a supervised law student, an employee of a corporate employer or an employee of the employer’s cost control firm.

If I get an attorney, what do I need to do?

An attorney must file a written entry of appearance before the hearing with the Office of Appeals.

Who pays for the attorney?

All attorney fees must be paid by the person or company hiring the attorney. Attorney fees assessed to the claimant must be approved by the Secretary of Labor in accordance with K.S.A. 44-718(b). The Secretary of Labor may not approve fees in excess of 25 percent of the claimant's total benefit amount.

How is the appeal hearing conducted?

The appeal hearing will be scheduled to take place by telephone. You will be called by the Appeals Referee at the time of your hearing. The opposing party and any additional witnesses or representatives will also appear on the same telephone call. The Appeals Referee will explain the hearing procedures and then both parties will have the opportunity to present their testimony and evidence. Cross-examination is also allowed. Both parties will have the chance to make a final statement before the conclusion of the hearing.After the hearing, the Appeals Referee will consider both the facts and the law and issue a written decision that will be mailed to both parties. You will not be given a decision the day of your hearing.

What if I need an interpreter or some other accommodation for the hearing?

Interpreter services or disability assistance will be provided upon request.

How long will the hearing take?

Hearings are normally scheduled for 45 minutes to an hour, but the length of the hearings can vary depending on number of witnesses, volume of evidence and types of issues.

What if I want an in-person hearing?

In-person hearings are held on a very limited basis if a telephone hearing is not possible. To request an in-person hearing, you must submit the request in writing. The party requesting the in-person hearing may be granted the right to appear in person, but the other party will have the option of appearing via telephone or in person unless the Appeals Referee determines that it would be best for all parties to appear in person. All in-person hearings are held in Topeka, Kansas.

How long does the whole process take?

Your hearing will be set for the first available time after we receive your request. The length of time before your hearing will depend on the number of other appeals to be heard. The length of time to issue each decision varies widely depending upon the complexity of the case. Your decision will be mailed to you as soon as possible after the hearing.

The opposing party filed an appeal. Do I have to participate?

You are not required to participate. However, failing to participate could negatively impact your benefits (for claimants) or your employer tax liability (for employers). For example, a claimant who has been paid benefits and receives an unfavorable appeal decision could result not only in a loss of future benefits, but also an overpayment of benefits previously paid. It is important to appear and participate in the hearing to protect your rights.

What if I disagree with the decision of the Appeals Referee?

Either party may request the decision not in their favor be reviewed by the Employment Security Board of Review (the Board). Instructions for filing that appeal are on the last page of the Appeals Referee’s decision. The Board will review the hearing testimony and evidence and will not hold a new hearing or accept additional evidence. You may appeal the Board’s decision to the District Court and up through the Court of Appeals and Kansas Supreme Court. These additional appeals are at your expense.

How do I contact the Office of Appeals?

Call the Office of Appeals at (785) 296-1800

(785) 291-6086 (FAX)

401 SW Topeka Blvd, Topeka, KS 66603-3182

Eligibility and Disqualifications

Can a member of the bargaining unit that is on strike or locked out receive unemployment benefits?

If you are a member of a bargaining unit involved in a strike or lockout resulting from a labor dispute you are most likely ineligible for unemployment benefits during the strike or lockout. Those individuals who are not involved in the labor dispute who are temporarily laid off because of the labor dispute are likely to be eligible to receive benefits. For more information go to the Labor Dispute/Strike/Lockout Guide located at https://www.dol.ks.gov/ui-forms under Guides. 

IMPORTANT: The law dictates that those members of a bargaining unit that is directly involved in a Labor Dispute, whether on Strike or Lockout, are likely ineligible to collect benefits. Please refer to the Employment Security Law K.S.A. 44-706(d). 

Can a member of a union that is out due to lack of work receive unemployment benefits?

A union worker temporarily laid off due to lack of work (including school or training), may qualify for UI benefitsClick here to read more information on how to file for unemployment.

Am I eligible for benefits if I attend school or training?

An adjudicator will determine your eligibility for benefits if you attend school. They will review if  attending school impacts your availability. Under certain circumstances, classes or training may be certified as approved training.

Why do you need to know why I lost my job?

If you are unemployed the reason you lost your job may have an impact on your eligibility. Each time you become unemployed and apply for unemployment benefits, you must provide the reason you are unemployed.

Can I get benefits if I leave work voluntarily?

You may be disqualified for benefits if you if you voluntarily quit your job without good cause attributable to the work or the employer.
You may still be eligible if you under certain circumstances outlined in Kansas law. The only way to know if you will receive benefits if you have left work voluntarily is to apply for benefits. 

What if I was fired?

You are not eligible for unemployment benefits if you are discharged (fired) for misconduct or gross misconduct connected with the work.

"Misconduct" is defined as a violation of a duty or obligation reasonably owed the employer as a condition of employment.

"Gross misconduct" is defined as extreme, willful or wanton misconduct.

What if I refuse a job?

You may not be eligible for unemployment benefits if you do not accept suitable work when offered. We will consider several factors in determining whether work is suitable. 

What do I do if I go back to work full-time?

If you return to work full time or have gross earnings (wages before deductions) that equal or exceed your weekly benefit amount, stop filing weekly certifications (claims).

If you return to work midweek and do not work “full time” your first week back, file a weekly certification (claim) for the week. Report the hours and earnings that you worked on your weekly certification.

If you are unemployed or underemployed again within the same benefit year, file another application against your remaining balance.

Can I work part time and receive benefits?

You may receive some benefits for a week if you work less than full time and earn less than your weekly benefit amount.

You may earn up to 25 percent of your weekly benefit amount (WBA) without a reduction to your unemployment benefits. Any earnings over 25 percent of your WBA will be deducted from your unemployment benefits on a dollar-for-dollar basis.

You must report your gross wages (wages before deductions) from any employment on your weekly certifications (claims). This includes any wages received as a Reservist for weekend drill and annual training participation.

Can I apply for benefits if their hours are reduced?

Yes, if you are working less than 40 hours and earning less than your weekly benefit amount, you can apply and we will determine if you are eligible for benefits. 

Can a claimant operate their own business and receive benefits at the same time?

If he or she is operating a full-time business, he or she is not eligible. If this is a part-time occupation such as selling cosmetics or vitamin supplements, the income must be reported and it might reduce any benefits to which he or she is entitled.

Can a claimant receive benefits in Kansas while working a full-time job in another state?

No, you cannot collect unemployment once you return to full-time work, no matter if it is in a different state or for a different employer.

Can a claimant go on vacation while receiving benefits?

A primary requirement for receiving unemployment is that you must look for and be able and available to work while you are receiving unemployment benefits. This would mean a week spent away on vacation, or even in the hospital, could mean you cannot collect unemployment because you wouldn’t be able and available to accept or look for a job.

What if I did not work before my current job?

To be eligible, you must have worked within the last 18 months. File and application for benefits, and we will determine if you have sufficient earnings to be eligible for benefits.

What is Severance Pay?

Severance, termination, or other similar pay is payment(s) made by the employer when an employee is separated from a job. This can be made in a lump sum payment or several payments.

Do I have to report my severance pay when applying for unemployment benefits?

Yes, all severance pay must be reported when filing an application and weekly certifications. An eligibility determination will be made. 

Can a claimant receive unemployment benefits and workers compensation payments at the same time?

No, you cannot receive workers compensation for temporary or permanent total disability under the Workers Compensation Law of any state and receive unemployment benefits at them same time.

Mass Layoff Spreadsheet Filing

My employer filed by spreadsheet. Do I need to file an application too?

No, do not file an application if your employer filed for you. File a weekly certification each week you remain unemployed or underemployed.

What does the employee do after the employer files by spreadsheet?

The layoff spreadsheet is the application for unemployment insurance benefits. Each individual employee is responsible for filing their own weekly certifications. If a weekly certification is not filed, it cannot be paid.

Unemployment Benefits and Tax Information


How is the amount of my benefits determined?

When you file an  application, your work history will be reviewed to determine if you have earned enough wages to qualify.

To qualify for benefits you must have been paid wages from insured employment in at least two quarters with the total of your wages being at least 30 times your WBA. Insured work is work performed for employers who are required to pay unemployment insurance tax on your wages. 

We determine both your weekly benefit amount (WBA) and your total benefit amount (TBA) based on the wages you earned during your base period.

What will my Weekly Benefit Amount be?

The weekly benefit amounts will be a minimum of $147 and a maximum of $589 per week for claims filed between July 1, 2023 and June 30, 2024. You will be notified of your weekly benefit amount through a monetary determination, which will be issued after you file an application for benefits. If you want an estimate of your weekly benefit amount, we recommend using our benefits calculator at GetKansasBenefits.gov

When is my claim start date?

You claim start date is the Sunday of the week you file your application for benefits. This date is also called your benefit year begins date (BYB). Your claim is good for one year starting with this date.

Is there a waiting week?

Yes. claimants are generally required to serve a one-week waiting period per benefit year. You will not receive payment for the waiting period but you are required to file a weekly certification. 

My Claim Year ended, but I’m still unemployed. Do I need to reapply?

Yes, if your claim year has ended and you still need unemployment benefits, file a new application at GetKansasBenefits.gov

What is the Weekly Benefit Amount?

The Weekly Benefit Amount is the amount of unemployment insurance benefits you are eligible to receive each week before taxes and other deductions, if you are determined eligible. 

What is the Maximum Benefit Amount?

The Maximum Benefit Amount is the amount of unemployment benefits you are eligible to receive during your benefit year, if you are determined eligible divide your maximum benefit amount by your weekly benefit amount to calculate the approximate number of weeks available to you.

What is the Average Kansas Rate?

The seasonally adjusted, three-month average unemployment rate in Kansas at the time your claim is effective.

Will other income impact my benefits?

Vacation, holiday, bonus, pension, and separation pay may reduce or delay your unemployment benefits. If you receive these types of pay while claiming unemployment benefits, report this information when you file your application and weekly certification for payment.

What if I have been ordered to pay child support?

If you court-ordered to pay child support and are in arrears, the Kansas Department for Children and Families will initiate an order to take part of your unemployment insurance benefits.

Initially, the order will take 50 percent of your benefits each week.

For more information please call the Child Support Call Center at (888) 757-2445.

Are my benefits taxable?

Unemployment insurance is taxable income and must be reported on your federal and state income tax returns.

Taxes can be withheld from your weekly unemployment benefits ,by completing and returning the Agreement to Withhold Federal Income Tax from UI Benefits and/or the Agreement to Withhold Kansas Income Tax from Unemployment Insurance Benefits.

In January IRS Form 1099-G will be mailed to you with the amount of unemployment insurance benefits paid and any tax withholdings during the previous year. 


How will I get paid?

You must file a weekly certification for payment for each week. Payments will be made if all eligibility requirements have been met. Your claim becomes inactive if you have not filed a weekly certification or had any other activity on your claim for 14 calendar days. Claims will be paid by US Bank ReliaCard® or direct deposit.

When will I be paid?

If eligible, payments are normally received two to three business days after you file your weekly certification. Benefit payments will not always be deposited to your US Bank ReliaCard® or bank account on the same day each week. Payment may be delayed due to holidays or temporarily held while determining eligibility. You must file your weekly certifications while any investigation is in progress.

How can I find out if my benefit payment has been issued?

You can obtain information concerning the status of your claim anytime online by selecting the Check your weekly claim status option, or by selecting option one (1) through the weekly claim phone line. You will be able to get information about:

  • The last three weeks you claimed.
  • Date and amount of your benefit payment and the amount of benefits remaining.
  • If a benefit payment was not issued.
  • If the amount of your benefit payment is reduced and the reason for it.

What is the US Bank ReliaCard® card?

US Bank ReliaCard® is one way for unemployment to be paid in Kansas. A card will be mailed to your home address when your first payable week is processed if you do not sign up for direct deposit. The US Bank ReliaCard® is loaded with your unemployment benefit payments, making cash available at ATMs, Visa member financial institutions, and other locations. The Frequently Asked Questions on the US Bank ReliaCard® website provides detailed instructions on how to use your card.

Important Reminder: It can take up to 10 days after processing the first payable week for you to receive your US Bank ReliaCard®.

If you have had a US Bank ReliaCard® in the past from filing for unemployment, the payments will be loaded to the old card unless it has expired. Call U.S. Bank at (866) 335-1653 to double check to see if you have a US Bank ReliaCard® or if a replacement card is needed.

If I receive a US Bank ReliaCard®, does that mean I have met the unemployment benefits eligibility criteria?

Receiving a US Bank ReliaCard® means your first benefit payment has been made. Getting the card does not guarantee continued eligibility. Continue to file weekly certifications. 

Important Reminder: It can take 10 days after processing the first payable week for you to receive your US Bank ReliaCard®.  Choose direct deposit in payment options for quicker access to your payments.

How can I access my unemployment benefit funds through my US Bank ReliaCard®?

To access your funds, you can:

  • Make purchases through signature or PIN-based transactions.
  • Get cash back at participating store point-of-sale locations.
  • Funds from an in-network ATM, as identified by U.S. Bank.
  • Transfer funds to your personal bank account through U.S. Bank.
  • Obtain cash through bank tellers at any participating bank.
Important Note Regarding ATM Withdrawals: There is a fee for out-of-network ATM withdrawals and international withdrawals.

Where can I get cash with my US Bank ReliaCard®?

You can receive cash back at select retail point-of-sale merchant locations. You can also withdraw funds with no fee at any U.S. Bank or MoneyPass® ATM. Check out usbankreliacard.com or https://moneypass.com/atm-locator.html for a list of surcharge-free ATMs.

I haven't received my US Bank ReliaCard® yet.

If you opted to receive UI benefits on the US Bank ReliaCard® but have not received the card yet, check on the status of your card on the US Bank ReliaCard® website. If you're unable to locate the status of your card, log into your GetKansasBenefits (GKB) account and make sure you accepted the disclosures in the Payment Options tab and make sure your address is correct.

Can I access the entire cash amount of my unemployment benefit payment on the day the funds are available on my US Bank ReliaCard®?

Yes. The total amount is available for withdrawal on the day of payment. However, there may be a daily limit set on ATM cash withdrawals. Please note that some transactions, such as use of your debit card at a gas station, restaurant or hotel, may cause a hold on an amount of your card for up to several days. Some ATMs set limits on the amount that can be withdrawn at one time.

Can the Contact Center help me manage my payment information?

No. Only you can access your payment information on GetKansasBenefits.gov to manage the payment of your benefits. All inquiries regarding direct deposit must be made through your banking institution.

How do I set up direct deposit?

Log in to your account on GetKansasBenefits.gov and select Payment Options. Select direct deposit and fill out the required banking information.

Sample check that explains how to read the Routing Number, Account Number and Check Number from the bottom of the check

Can I split my weekly unemployment payment to go to multiple accounts?

No. Payments can only be deposited into a single checking or savings account.

Will I be notified when funds are deposited in my bank account?

No. You will not receive a notification. Some banks do offer notifications but you would need to contact your bank.

What if the KDOL website shows my weekly unemployment payment went through but my bank does not have a record of the deposit?

Once we have issued payment contact your bank if you have questions about your direct deposit.

How do I change my payment method?

Through your account on GetKansasBenefits.gov.  Log in and choose payment method. Then select the option you wish and provide any required information.

You can switch between the US Bank ReliaCard® and direct deposit or change your direct deposit account. Only future payments will be changed when you select a different payment method. 

Are there any fees associated with having my weekly unemployment payment direct deposited?


How often will I need to update my direct deposit information?

Any time you file an application for benefits, review your banking information for accuracy.

Multiple weeks have paid, why haven’t I received a card yet?

If multiple weeks have paid, double check the day the payments were released. It takes 2-3 business days to see a deposit in your account.

Tax Withholding

Will you go back and withhold income taxes from prior weeks that have already been paid?

No, we will only begin to withhold income taxes the date we process your request(s). 

Will the amount being withheld be reduced if I only receive a partial payment?

Withholding amounts are based on a percentage of your weekly benefit amount even if you are only receiving partial payments. Although you may be receiving a reduced weekly benefit amount, the withholding amount will be 3.5 percent of your weekly benefit amount for state withholding and 10 percent for federal withholding.

Will you send me the tax withholding forms?

We will not automatically send out income tax withholding forms.

What is the amount you will withhold for Kansas State income taxes for federal income taxes?

We will withhold 3.5 percent of your weekly benefit amount for state income taxes and 10 percent for federal income taxes if you have elected to have taxes withheld. For example, if your weekly benefit amount is $200 we will withhold $7 for Kansas income taxes and $20 for federal taxes.

Will I need to fill out a form to start or stop both Kansas and Federal income tax withholding?

Yes, complete the form to start or stop withholding for federal or Kansas taxes. The form can be found on the UI Forms and Guides page. 

Can I elect to only withhold Kansas income taxes?


Can I elect to only withhold federal income taxes?


My Reemployment Plan

Who must complete MRP?

Anyone who receives notice from KANSASWORKS of enrollment in My Reemployment must complete the program. 

If you believe you have been enrolled by mistake please see your local Workforce Center or visit www.kansascommerce.gov/mrp. Do not call the Contact Center. Phone representatives at the Contact Center are unable to assist with MRP compliance or completion. 

What must I do?

Go to My Reemployment Plan page for instructions on the steps to complete within fourteen (14) days of being notified of MRP eligibility.

How do I know if I must complete the MRP?

If you have received (3) weeks of benefits within your claim year, you will be required to complete MRP. KANSASWORKS will send you an email with instructions on how to complete, enrollment and what is required. Be checking your email and your spam or junk folder. For more information go to My Reemployment Plan page

I completed MRP, but am not receiving benefits, what do I do?

The MRP program is administered by KANSASWORKS.  it can take 7-10 days for account to come into compliance if MRP is not completed on time. Once KANSASWORKS confirms completion of the MRP, they will contact KDOL. The KDOL UI Contact Center is unable to assist with MRP compliance or completion. You MUST contact your local Workforce Center or visit www.kansascommerce.gov/mrp for more information or assistance.

Will the Kansas Department of Labor (KDOL) be notified?

Yes. KANSASWORKS will contact KDOL after completion of MRP has been confirmed. 

Unemployment Fraud

For more information on unemployment fraud and to report suspicions of unemployment fraud go to https://www.dol.ks.gov/fraud

What are some things that can cause fraud?

Fraud occurs when a claimant receives benefits:

  • And has refused suitable work and fails to report this
  • And is not looking for work
  • While working and does not report those earnings
  • While working and does not report the correct amount of earnings 
  • While operating their own business
  • And knowingly misrepresents that they are able and available for work (for example, the claimant is on vacation, out of town, in jail or in the hospital)

Why should I care if someone commits unemployment fraud?

Each year, employers pay unemployment taxes which are deposited into the Unemployment Insurance (UI) Trust Fund. Some unemployment benefits are paid out from this fund to workers who have lost their jobs through no fault of their own. Employers’ tax rates are affected when workers make claims against their account. Fraud can have a negative impact on these employers. Fraud may also reduce the balance of the UI Trust Fund which impacts payments to those who are unemployed. 

What information do you need when I report a suspected fraud case?

The two most important pieces of information to report are the person’s full name and the reason you believe they are committing fraud. Other information that may help us correctly identify the individual includes the person’s address, phone number, birth date, the last four digits of his or her Social Security number as well as their current employer’s name and address. See the online or downloadable reporting forms for more details.

Can you report anonymously?

Yes. You can make an anonymous report, but providing us with your contact information allows us to obtain additional information if necessary.

Identity Verification by Law Enforcement Officers

What is the process for identifying my identity with a law enforcement officer?

When you arrive at the law enforcement agency, the officer will supply you with the K-FRD 102 Identity Verification – Law Enforcement Office form. Fill out Section A. The officer will fill out Section B using the identity verification documents you provide them. Fill out Section C with your benefit payment information then print, sign and date the form under Claimant Certification. The officer will fill out and sign under LEO Certification. Then the officer will submit the completed form to KDOL.

How long will it take to be contacted by KDOL?

Unless it is a tip submitted on someone other than yourself and there are no other issues with your account, you will be contacted within the same week the report has been submitted.

Why do I have to provide payment information?

KDOL is requiring payment information to ensure that when we release benefits that they are sent to the verified claimants bank account or debit card and not to someone who has stolen that person’s identity.

What happens after I verify my identity with a LEO?

After the officer submits the completed identity verification form to KDOL, our Fraud Investigation unit will review the document and UI benefits account. We may contact you for additional questions. If our agency determines your identity has been verified correctly, the flag will be lifted from the account.

Note: Verifying your identity does not guarantee eligibility. Claimants will still need to be found eligible for UI benefits in order to start receiving payments.

1099-G Form Information

Find more information on Unemployment Taxes and 1099-G forms on our Unemployment Insurance page! Scroll down to Unemployment Tax Forms (1099-G)

When will I receive my 1099-G Form?

1099-Gs are required, by law, to be mailed by the end of January (January 31st) for the prior calendar year. KDOL will mail 1099-G forms in January. Mailings typically begin in the middle of the month and continue through the end of the month. Claimants who have not received a 1099-G after the first week in February can order a duplicate online.

What if my address has changed?

If your address has changed since you filed for unemployment benefits, you will need to register your change of address with KDOL in order to receive your 1099-G Form. You can register a change of  address online by logging in to your benefits account at GetKansasBenefits.gov. Then select "Settings" from the drop down menu at the top of the page next to your name. From there, select "Edit" next to the Personal Information section. You can also change your address by calling the Unemployment Insurance Contact Center.
If the 1099-G is mailed before you submit your change of address, you can submit your address change then submit a request for reprint starting on February 6, 2023 if you still have not received your form.

Will I still get a copy of my 1099-G if I signed up for tax withholding?

Yes, you will still receive your 1099-G if you used the option for tax withholding. Your federal and state tax withholding will be reported on your 1099-G. Read the 1099-G “Instructions for Recipient” section on your form for more information on how to interpret the form.

I claimed unemployment but I received a 1099-G form in the mail for the wrong tax year, is this correct?

Yes, you may have filed and claimed unemployment, but did not receive the funds until the next year. The year you receive the funds is when you claim it on your taxes. All tax related questions will need to be directed to a tax professional. 

How do I get a copy of my 1099-G Form for the current year or previous years?

Reprints for 1099-G forms can be requested by logging into GetKansasBenefits.gov and selecting Request 1099-G Reprint

Why is my repayment of my overpayment not accounted for on my 1099-G?

The 1099-G will report the total amount of benefits paid during the calendar year, including any overpayments. If you repaid any or all of an overpayment amount during the same calendar year, the payment amount shown will not be adjusted to reflect the amount repaid.

You can claim the amount paid back on your federal tax return. Instructions for claiming the repaid amount can be found on IRS Publication 525 (2019) within the Unemployment Benefits section. If you don't repay the overpayment until subsequent tax years, you can claim the amount repaid on your tax form(s) for the year(s) in which the repayment is made.

Why is the amount reflected in my 1099-G different than what I expected?

The amount shown on the 1099-G reflects when the payment was made, not the weeks that were claimed, during the calendar year when you were issued the payment.

If you believe the amount shown on your 1099-G is incorrect, you can fill out a request on the KDOL Self-Service Portal under “Dispute my 1099,” making sure to check the box for “I want to dispute my 1099” or send a written dispute with your full name and last 4 digits of your social security number to the Kansas Department of Labor Attn: 1099 Inquiry at 401 SW Topeka Blvd, Topeka, KS 66603-3182.

If your dispute is related to identity theft, also attach a copy of the Unsworn Declaration form.

How do I report fraud if I received a 1099-G form for a fraudulent claim in my name?

Follow instructions for reporting a fraud claim and disputing your 1099-G on the Report Fraud page. 

What is the Payer's Federal Identification number?

The Kansas Department of Labor Federal ID # is: 74-2822699.

Can I receive the amount of my 1099-G over the phone?

No, you need to wait for the form to be sent to you.

How do I request a 1099-G Form for deceased spouse/family member?

If someone other than the claimant is requesting a duplicate 1099-G because the claimant is deceased, they must submit the following information:

  • A letter advising who the deceased individual is and that they are requesting the 1099
    • The letter must also include their relationship to the deceased claimant and the address that they are wanting the 1099-G sent to.
  • Copy of the Death Certificate
  • Proof that they are the executor of the claimant's estate
Note: They should provide both the copy of the death certificate and proof of executorship, however if they can only send one of these, our legal department will evaluate upon receipt of what is sent in.

The information can be submitted via the Self-Service Portal or by mail

Kansas Department of Labor
401 SW Topeka Blvd.
Topeka, KS 66603-3182

Reasonable Assurance

How are employees notified of reasonable assurance?

Notice should include clear verbiage giving the individual reasonable assurance. Notice should include:

  • Business/employer name
  • Date
  • Employee’s name
  • Issuer’s name and position
  • Starting date of school year
  • Ending date of school year
  • Dates of any scheduled vacations
  • Dates of any holiday periods

Approved Training

What is approved training?

Approved training is any training program found by the Kansas Department of Labor (KDOL) to meet approved training guidelines. Training must be vocational or technical in nature and short-term (typically less than two years) to be considered for approved training. It includes training programs authorized under the Workforce Investment Act of 1998. All requests for approved training must be submitted on an individual basis by the claimant. We will determine if the training qualifies as approved training. Approved training also applies to Trade Adjustment Assistance (TAA) participants enrolled in and approved for training.
For training to be designated approved training, a demonstrated need for the training must be established. You must show the training will enhance your opportunity for an early return to employment. Decisions regarding approved training are specific to each claimant, dependent upon your existing skills, work experience, and job prospects for the type of training being sought. Approved training must be training that will lead to employment as opposed to self-employment. You must continue to look for work every week you are unemployed unless otherwise directed by KDOL.

What type of benefits can I receive if I’m in approved training and for how long?

If your training meets the approved training guidelines and you meet all other eligibility requirements, you will be eligible to receive unemployment insurance benefits and the work search requirement will be waived during school or training if you are making satisfactory progress toward the completion of the training.

The number of weeks for which you may be eligible is determined by the total benefit amount of your original claim for unemployment benefits.

How do I know if I'm eligible; how can I apply?

To file for approved training, complete the School Attendance/Approved Training Application form below. The form must be completed and returned. The only way to know if you are eligible is to submit the form. We will issue a determination notifying you of your eligibility.

If you are approved for training under the Workforce Investment Act (WIA), complete the form (page one only) and submit the WIA approval letter with the form. We will approve the WIA training and waive the work search requirement if you make satisfactory progress while in approved training.

Are approved training benefits different than regular benefits?

Approved training benefits are paid each week and you must continue to file weekly certifications. While in approved training, every four weeks you will be mailed a Progress in Approved Training Report form. Take this form to the training facility for completion and return the form to the Contact Center. This report must be completed by the training facility to certify your weekly progress and attendance while in approved training.

Can I file my weekly claims for approved training online or by phone?

Yes, file a weekly certifications while in approved training online or by phone. While in approved training, you are required to complete and return a Progress in Approved Training Report every four weeks.

What forms must I submit while on approved training?

Every four weeks you will be sent a Progress in Approved Training Report form to be completed and returned. A training facility representative must complete the form and sign it to certify you are making satisfactory progress in your training program. This includes weeks you are on a break in training. The certification form must be filled out completely and returned to us. Delays in submitting this form can delay the payments. Incomplete forms will result in delayed payments and/or denial of benefits.

What is the difference between school attendance and Approved Training?

If you are eligible to receive unemployment benefits while attending school because it does not interfere with your ability to seek or accept full-time, you  will still be required to look for work. You must show a full course of action that will result in your reemployment while attending school.

Approved training has specific guidelines that are listed above under "What is approved training?" If you meet these criteria, you will be informed of your work search requirements on the notice of determination mailed to you. Satisfactory attendance and progress in school are required to receive benefits.

What if I am late submitting my certification form or can’t get someone at my school to sign the form?

Your benefit payments will be delayed. If a form is incomplete, we may return it for completion. If your trainer or a representative of the program does not certify your satisfactory participation, your benefits will be denied. Kansas law K.S.A. 44-704 requires that we have all this information. Submit the form even if it is late or if you have already been denied for a possible re-determination.

Can I take classes online under approved training?

If you are taking online courses, you may apply for approved training. We will issue a determination notifying you whether the training meets the guidelines for approved training. You must make satisfactory progress in the class to maintain your approved training status. The training facility must certify your satisfactory progress every four weeks.

What are TAA and TRA?

The Federal Trade Act provides several benefits under the Trade Adjustment Assistance (TAA) program. Trade Readjustment Allowances (TRA) is one of the benefits covered under TAA. TRA payments are intended mainly for workers who are enrolled in approved training for a new job because their previous job was affected by foreign imports. TRA provides additional income support to individuals who qualify after their regular unemployment benefits are exhausted.

TRA is available to workers who are adversely affected by a trade-impacted employer. The trade-impacted employer must be covered under a certification of group eligibility. Certification of group eligibility is a group of workers of a firm or subdivision of a firm that have been certified by the U.S. Department of Labor as eligible to apply for TAA benefits.

If you think you may qualify for these benefits, please contact a Kansas Department of Commerce Workforce Center.

Automatic Registration for KANSASWORKS

What is automatic registration?

Automatic registration is a process that allows claimants who apply for Unemployment Insurance benefits to be automatically registered for services through KANSASWORKS, the state’s workforce system linking businesses, job seekers and educational institutions. The information provided on the UI benefits application is used to register the claimant with KANSASWORKS.

What is the benefit of being registered with KANSASWORKS?

Registration with KANSASWORKS gets you one step closer to finding a job. You can perform job searches, build and post online résumés, save job searches, create personal profiles and receive email updates. You will also have access to staff services that can help you find a job, as well as additional resources, including skills certification and training programs.

Is everyone who applies for unemployment benefits registered with KANSASWORKS?

Everyone who applies for unemployment insurance benefits online or by phone will automatically be registered with KANSASWORKS. Individuals who are registered for unemployment insurance benefits by their employers through an electronic filing process will not be automatically registered with KANSASWORKS. However, those individuals can take advantage of the benefits by registering with KANSASWORKS.

What if my employer files my application through the electronic filing program? Will I still be registered with KANSASWORKS?

No. Individuals whose applications for unemployment benefits are filed electronically by their employers are not automatically registered for KANSASWORKS. Those individuals must register with KANSASWORKS.

Do I have to do anything special to be registered?

No. Once you’ve completed your application, you are registered with KANSASWORKS.

Do I need to do anything special after I am registered with KANSASWORKS?

When you access your account at KANSASWORKS.com for the first time, you will be prompted to change your password. Once registered with KANSASWORKS, you are in control of your job search. The services provided through KANSASWORKS can help you by providing information about job openings and other resources to help you find employment.

How will I get the information about my username and password for KANSASWORKS?

Your username and temporary password for KANSASWORKS will be mailed to you with your monetary determination notice. If you complete your UI benefits application online, your username and temporary password will also be provided on the confirmation page once you complete your application.

If I apply for benefits and my claim is denied, will I still be registered with KANSASWORKS?

Yes. Your registration with KANSASWORKS is not dependent upon receiving unemployment benefits. Even if your claim is denied, your registration with KANSASWORKS will still be effective.

What kind of job matching information will I receive through the automatic registration program?

Claimants who complete their applications for unemployment insurance benefits online will be provided helpful information regarding the number of current job listings on KANSASWORKS that match their job classification. This same information is available to anyone registered, including those who apply for unemployment benefits by phone, by accessing their account via KANSASWORKS.

I am on a temporary layoff and will be returning to my job soon, so I don’t need to look for new work. Will I be automatically registered with KANSASWORKS when I file for unemployment?

Yes. The application process for filing for unemployment benefits includes automatic registration with KANSASWORKS. You can access your account via KANSASWORKS. If you are on a temporary layoff and are not interested in applying for other job opportunities, you may disregard the information provided to you.

Where can I get more information about the job search process?

Information and assistance with the job search process can be obtained by going to KANSASWORKS or by contacting your local workforce centers.

Treasury Offset Program (TOP)

For more information on the Treasury Offset Program (TOP) go to https://www.dol.ks.gov/op

Whom should I contact regarding my debt?

If your debt has not yet been referred to TOP, contact Kansas Department of Labor Benefit Payment Collections at (785) 296-3609.

If your debt has already been referred to TOP call the Treasury Offset Program Call Center at (800) 304-3107.

How can I avoid having my debt offset for payment?

Choose a way to pay the debt by going to our Overpayments page.

What if I don't give you permission to take my federal payment?

State and federal laws authorize the TOP Program. KDOL is not required to secure your permission prior to submitting your unpaid liability to TOP.


What are my options if I have an overpayment?

If you received an overpayment and a notification that you owe a balance to KDOL, you can:
•    Pay the full amount,
•    Create a payment plan,
•    Appeal the amount of the overpayment, or
•    Request a waiver.
For detailed instructions on the options for overpayment, go to https://www.dol.ks.gov/op

Are there penalties or interest on overpayment amounts?

KDOL is permitted, under K.S.A. 44-706, to assess a "penalty in the amount equal to 25 percent of the amount of benefits unlawfully received" upon "an individual who has knowingly made a false statement or representation or who has knowingly failed to disclose a material fact to obtain or increase [UI] benefit..." These are generally referred to as "fraud" cases. The failure to fully report or accurately disclose wages or earnings for any time benefits are paid or delivered is fraud. KDOL actively investigates fraud. Fraud can lead to prosecution.

If a fraud determination has been made, interest accrues from the date of a final determination. Interest at the statutory rate of 18 percent per year may accrue on penalties assessed.

Non-fraud overpayments accrue interest on unpaid balances remaining unpaid two years after the date the overpayment was established.

Are overpayment repayments tax deductions?

It depends. Claimants should consult with a tax advisor or tax preparation service. Unemployment Insurance (UI)  benefits are generally considered income. It may be that UI benefit repayments would provide a deduction on income tax returns when repaying prior reported income in the tax year of the repayment.

Will an overpayment balance influence my credit report?

KDOL does not supply overpayment balances or related information to credit reporting agencies. Some recovery processes are public records available to credit reporting agencies and the general public.

How does bankruptcy influence overpayments?

Bankruptcy may not change obligations related to the overpayment account. Overpayment balances are subject to recoupment or off-set, including benefit off-set post-bankruptcy.

How can I avoid collection or recovery activity?

Reducing an Overpayment Account to a zero balance is the best method to avoid collection or recovery activity. Making an obvious effort to reduce the balance in a reasonable and timely fashion is a good alternative. 

Where can I find my UI Code (UID)?

Your personal UID can be located in your Get Kansas Benefits (GKB) account.  You will need to log into Okta, click on the GKB button and select either Change Your Information or Apply for Benefits. The UID will be located in either of those two locations.  Your UID is also located on your account balance statements from KDOL.

How often can I apply for an Overpayment Waiver?

Each claimant is allowed one (1) Overpayment Waiver Request a year. A reapplication for an Overpayment Waiver can be made after twelve (12) months from submission.

What documents should I include with my Overpayment Waiver Request?

Include any documents to prove your current financial situation and why repayment would be a hardship. 

Can I provide additional documents after I have requested an Overpayment Waiver?

No. Per the instructions on the Overpayment Waiver Request Form (K-CNS 2203), all documents must be submitted when requesting an overpayment waiver.